This is a hearty cold salad that will last you for a few days! You can also add it to a plate of greens as a topping to a bowl of salad. Haven’t heard of lava beans before? Fava beans are an amazing source of lean protein. They are also rich in potassium, copper, zinc, magnesium, thiamin, vitamin k, vitamin b-6, and selenium.
4 cups of Fava Beans - Shelled
1 Red Pepper
1 Yellow Onion
4 Green Onions
1 can of Black Olives (or fresh olives)
4-5 cloves of garlic
Himalayan Pink Salt
- Soak 4 cups of lava beans either over night or for the day while you are at work. Be sure to rinse periodically if possible. You don’t want them sitting in the same water for too long.
- Chop up the following veggies for the salad. half of a daikon (diced), 1 red pepper (diced), half of a large yellow onion (diced), 2-3 carrots (diced), 1 can of black olives, 3-4 green onions (chopped), 1-2 small/medium zucchinis.
- Fill a large pot with water - bring to a boil
- Pour the soaked/washed beans into the boiling water - boil for 1 minute ( I know, the fastest cooking beans around!)
- Strain them and rinse under cool water to stop the cooking process. Allow them to drain completely in a strainer.
- Dice 4-5 cloves of garlic
- Cover the bottom of a large pan with olive oil
- Place beans, zucchini, and garlic in the pan. Sautee with some sea salt (pink himalayan) for 4-6 minutes
- In a large bowl, mix half of the beans and all of the veggies with itallian dressing of your choice, sea salt, pepper, and juice of a whole lime.
*You can replace the fava beans with any kind of bean you prefer!*